Friday, December 3, 2010

Music Review: Linkin Park


I've been planning this review for a long time. Linkin Park is very special too me. I grew up listening to them as a little kid. They are a Nu Metal and Rap Metal band...but now, I don't know what their music is classified as. But first off, let's start off with their first album.

Hyrbid Theory(2000)

This is where it's at. Hyrbid Theory is often considered to be Linkin Park's best work, and for many reasons. It made Linkin Park go into mainsteam success, helped made the Rap Metal genre more radio friendly, and is one of the best selling albums of all time. I mean sure, when it first came out, it got some mixed reactions, but it's still an incredible work, no matter what people say.

Papercut: A great way too start off the album. I don't know what the song has to do with papercuts...but who cares about the name. This is one of Linkin Park's bests. 9.5/10

One Step Closer:
"SHUT UP WHEN IM TALKING TO YOU! SHUT UP. SHUT
UP. SHUT UP. SHUT UP!!!!!!" You gotta love Chester's screaming near the end of the song. It's cool. 9.2/10

With You:
Not my favorite song on the
album. 8/10

P
oints Of Authority: One of the highlights from the album. For some reason, this reminds me of elections, where people give false speaches and think their right, but wind up getting outvoted. 9.8/10

Crawling:
Not my favorite on the album, but its alright. 8.4/10


Runaway: An amazing son from the song. It shows Chester's iconic screaming, like in One Step Closer. Song reminds me of a kid who lives in a household were he isn't allowed to live his dreams, so he runs away and is free. 9.3/10

By Myself:
This song takes some time to get used too, but then you start realizing what the lyrics mean and all that. 8.8/10


In The End:
Wh
at can be said about this song? It is one, if not, their most popular and well known song. Epic. 10/10

Place For My Head:
Starts off with rapping, then later on you hear screaming. Wow, what a dramatic change during the song's course. 9.5/10


Forgotten:
My favorite song off the album. Right when you press that play button, you hear the lyrics.
No, there isn't some opening or anything. Press play, BOOM! "FROM THE TOP TOO THE BOTTOM!". At exactly 2 minutes is my favorite part. 10/10

Cure For The Itch:
"MRRRRRRRRRR HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!". I'm guessing this song is just the DJ going freestyle on the turntable. 9/10


Pushing Me Away: Sadly, all albums have to end. This song is an OK way to end off the album. 8.8/10
Overall: 9/10

Meteora(2003)

This is the album that got me into Linkin Park. Hell, it's the album that got me into ROCK! Being the first album I owned and first rock music I ever listened too, Meteora plays a significant role in my childhood. Meteora is also an amazing album. It's a little bit more different then Hyrbid Theory. It had much more darker lyrics, and uses more instruments, like the flute.

Foreward: So you hear this ticking sound and then breaking glass for 15 seconds as an intro. I don't know what that's about...?/10

Don't Stay:
You can immediately tell that there are much darker lyrical style as soon as you listen too this song. This song brings b
ack so much memories of me being a little punk. 9.6/10

Somewhere I Belong:
Another great song from the album. Yet more dark lyrical stuff. 9.3/10


Lying from You:
"NO, NO TURNING BACK NOW!" For some reason, this song reminds me of runaway, I
don't know. Probably because theirs alot of screaming in this one. 9/10

Hit Th
e Floor: "You think you won, but then its all gone...now its all gone". This song has a great intro, and is a amazing song overall. 9.8/10

Easier To Run: Ok now this song REALLY reminds me of runaway. I don't know why. Like, the song sounds like a part 2 version of runaway. Even the names of the songs sound similar. This song makes me think of someone after running away, and regretting doing it. 9.4/10

Faint: My favorite song off the album. I actually used this song in my Spirit of Rock video. Song makes me think of someone who has been ignored for too long and finally snaps. 10/10

Figure.09:
Another one of my favorites off the a
lbum. This song makes me think of someone who hates another person so much, it consumes them. 9.5/10

Breaking the Habit:
Probably the darkest song on the album, well, I don't know. Maybe. This song has an amazing epic opening, and the
n its just a overall amazing song. 10/10

From The Inside:
Song kind of reminds me of Lying From You, or maybe it's just me? 8.8/10


Nobody's Listening:
Ok this song REALLY makes me think of Place For My Head because it starts off with rapping. 8.3/10


Session:
This is a song that has no lyrics whatsoever. However, it has a strange dark atmosphere too it that cannot be described, which makes it such
a great song. 9.2/10

Numb:
Yet again, all great albums have to come to an end, and we end it with one of the best songs on the album. 9.5/10


Overall: 9.2Minutes To Midnight(2007)

This album is often considered to be the band's downfall, calling their music "Crap" and saying that their "sellouts". We all have to realize that there is a difference between being "sellouts", and experimenting with different music. I would also like to point out that from this point on, Linkin Park became more distant from their origonal Work/Style. Also, this and A Thousand Suns have cussing, as their older work had very little to none.

Wake: This is the intro too the album. It's not too bad, I guess. 8/10

Given Up:
There is some clapping(?) in the song. THe highlight is the screaming near the end of the song, that lasts for like 14 seconds. DAMN! 9/10


Leave Out All The Rest: I used this in my Getting To Level 73 Maplestory video actually. I say this is the best song on the album, and one of the best songs ever from Linkin Park. 10/10

Bleed It Out:
With a song name like
bleed it out, you would expect some hardcore dark material. But actually, it's...happy sounding, with all its cheering and clapping. 8.3/10

Shadow Of The Day: Ok now this just sounds like something you would hear when your VERY bored or sleepy, well thats at least for the intro. I used this song in my Ghost Ship PQ Maplestory video, as the intro before I go inside and fight the boss. Not until I listened to it in great detail, I found out this is actually a very beutifull song. 8/10

What I've Done:
I remember playing this song on Guitar Hero:World Tour. During that time I didn't own this album. When I
was listening too it I was like "WTH this is Linkin Park?" and kept on screwing up on the notes because I was shocked. This, was the first time, I witnessed Linkin Park's new style. But because of how it has dark lyrics, like in Meteora, I eventually got over it. 9/10

Hands Held High: Um...what the hell? 5.5/10

No More Sorrow:
I wish I could like this song but...I can't. 6.5/10


Valentine's Day:
This song starts off a little "MEH", but it thankfully gets...better? Yeah, better. 8/10


In Between: This is one of those soft songs, and sounds like some sort of apology song. 7.3/10

In Pieces: A song that I actually liked. However, I played it too many times, and now I'm sick of it. 8.7/10

The Little Things Give You Away:
The longest song off the album, and is a acoustic. Very soft, very mellow. 4/10


Overall: 7.6

A Thousand Suns(2010)

A while ago I did a review of A Thousand Suns when I listened too the whole album. If you read it, I showed great disgust and hatred toward this album. Now that I listened to it a few times, I can explain it in further detail, and give it the review it deserves. Once again, Linkin Park changes their style, but this one goes way way WAYYYYYYY farther from their older style.

A Thousand Suns is a concept album about nuclear warfare, the name A Thousand Suns refers to a nuclear bomb. The album is suppose to be listened to as a whole, all the songs tell a different story. The genre in this album is unlike anything I can describe. It dosn't feel like rock, and it has techno stuff in it, and it talks about warfare. You can say this is a "Political Technical Rock album". Or you can just say "Unclassifable".

The Requiem: So this is the intro too the album. The vocals used in this one is unlike anything I can describe. It dosn't sound like Chester OR Mike. It sounds like Glados from Portal. You hear lyrics that sound oddly familiar too The Catalyst(Later in the album), then you hear a ticking 5, 4, 3, 2, then 1. This leads too the next song 4/10

The Radiance: Woah what the hell? A second filler intro. The voice in this are COMPLETLY different from Requium. I'm guessing they are using some sort of voice box or something. I don't know. The song gets louder and louder as it goes on. This song makes me think of the president announceing the a war or something. It really gets you pumping. 7/10

Burning In The Skies: YES! FINALLY A SONG. Ok, with a name like "Burning In The Skies", you expect some badass song, just the name sounds awesome. I guess you can say that this is the part where people react in shock too the war. Lyrics are excellent, but the intrument notes could be better. 7/10

Empty Spaces: A 18 second clip of footsteps and shooting while someone shouts commands? WTF? You could say this is the soliders entering the enemy's teritory. 2/10

When They Come For Me: Aaaah this song is so catchy. "TRY TO CATCH UP MOTHER*****". This is mostly Mike singing/rapping here. I really like this. You could say this is when they are about to round up people for internment camps or something. 9.5/10

Robot Boy: Ugh...this is painful. The lyrics are OK, despite being slow, but the PROBLEM IS THE LACK OF INTRUMENTS. ITS 4 MINUTES. VERY. PAINFUL. 2.5/10

Jornada Del Muerto: So...another filler. Lyrics are iffy. The Intruments honestly tries to be better. But still, its a little lacking. 4/10

Waiting For The End: With a name like this, you expect something badass again. Shredding guitars, shouting, catchy, and EPIC. But it's something completly different. It starts off with sort of a happy feel to it. But it turns out there is alot of emotion in it. This song makes me remind of people living in the internment camp. I...like it. 9/10

Blackout: Holy crap! Chester screaming like the good ol' Hybrid Theory and Meteora days?! OK, this comes a little bit closer too their older style. 8.5/10

Wretches And Kings: Starts off the voice from The Radiance, then gets too the song itself. I'm suprised, no fillers yet. This song makes me think of a bunch of people starting a protest or something. 8/10

Wisdom, Justice, and Love: Oh my god...another filler. This one just creeps me out. Its the voice from Radiance again, and it slowly grows robotic. This makes me think of people praying in a church while the war is going on, and then it gets wiped out. 5/10

Iridescent: This song...is very beutifull. I actually used this song in my Getting To Level 73 Maplestory video during the ending. It's very moving. 9.7/10

Fallout: YOU SON OF A...! ANOTHER FILLER. This is a very iffy filler, with lackluster lyrics and lack of sound. Makes me think of a bomb falling onto the city from the war and is completly in ashes. 2/10

The Catalyst: This song is awesome. Being at 5 minutes, you expect it too be torture, but it isn't. I loved this song the first time I listened to it. While I was just emotionlessly listening too all the songs, this song came and i'm like WOAH! You can say this is were the people who survived the atomic bomb rebuild themselfs. 9.6/10

The Messenger: This is where peace finally arives from the war. This song is very moving to me. It sounds like a song you would hear a chorus in a church singing. Ahhh...so beutifull. 9/10

Overall: 6.4

...I think I get it now. Why...A Thousand Suns is more then an album. It's a album that tells a story that tries to send a powerful message to everyone.

HOWEVER. There is a difference between changing style...AND MAKING 6 MOTHERFUDGING FILLERS! I mean...I understand Linkin Park is currently experimenting and being more open at changing with their style, thats fine. Actually, Linkin Park is one of the most diverse bands I listened too. In fact, when a 5th album comes out, I expect something completly different.

Their becoming more distant from their older style, which kind of disapoints me. I would be more then happy too see them return too their old work too make another amazing album. I grew up with those albums. Like..when people say "A Thousand Suns sucks", I can't argue with that, people have their different tastes in music. If they say "A Thousand Suns sucks compared too Hyrbid Theory" I can't really argue with that at all.

Remember, what ever they make, their still Linkin Park.


0 comments:

Post a Comment