Saturday, November 20, 2010

Music Review: Slipknot


Hey everyone welcome too my 2nd music review, I havn't done one in a while. Slipknot is a heavy metal/Nu Metal band from Des Moines, Iowa. They have a total of 8 band members. Each one of them wears a mask. They are known for their image, aggressive music, and live peformances. They have a total of 4 albums as of 2010, so were going to do 4 reviews in 1 this time.
Slipknot(1999)

I listened to this album first before their other 3 and...uh...wow. This album is incredible for its heavy overall sound. This album really absorbs you intro listening through it all the way.

1) 742617000027: Whan an odd song name. This is a 36 second intro too the album. You can't really understand what they are saying. ?/10

2) (sic):
This song is absolutly (sic)! The ammount of energy and aggressiveness in the song
is astounding. What a great way to start off an album. 9.5/10

3) Eyeless:
Starts off slow, then gets louder. Another great s
ong off the album. 9.3/10

4) Wait And Bleed: Another great song from Slipknot! It's a little softer then other songs on the album, but its still a badass track 9.4/10

5)
Surfacing: Starts off a little slow, gets heavy, and then BOOM
! "**** IT ALL! ***** THIS WORLD! **** EVERYTHING THAT YOU STAND FOR!". Damn! AWESOME!! 10/10

6) Spit It Out:
My favorite song off the album for its overall heavy sound. "SPIT. IT. OUT."
You just gotta listen too this song. It's amazing! 10/10

7) Tattered&Torn:
The start of the song is pretty soft compared too other songs off the album.
Not until close too the very end of the song(2:23 out of 2:54) it gets very heavy. I usually skip over this one. 8.5/10

8) Me Inside:
"THIS LIFE IS ****ING KILLING ME". This isn't my
favorite song from Slipknot, but its an alright track. 8/10

9) Liberate:
The song I played the most off the album. At the start he says "LIBERATE!
MY MADNESS!", but I thought he said "LIBERATE! BANANAS!". Yeah I know I'm kind of stupid. Overall, its an amazing song that ranks up there with Surfacing and Spit It Out. 10/10

10) Prosthetics:
The start of the song is similar too Tattered&Torn, except its pretty
soft throughout the whole song, but saying that isn't right, because there is some screams in this. Eventually it gets heavier, at the end. "Mistake. Mistake. MISTAKE!!!". 8.8/10

11) No Life:
This song isn't on my favorite list, and I usually skip over it sometimes.
However, it's a good song. 8.9/10

12) Diluted:
Another song that isn't on my favorite list. I don
't like it that much. 7.8/10

13) Only One:
Starts off with an eerie intro, then it gets h
eavy. 8.7/10

14) Scissors:
This is a slightly disturbing song. "Before i cu
t my heart open, and let the air out". Ok...? Then the screaming starts. Overall, its a great song too end off the album. It's long as hell(Over 8 minutes), but its a good song. 9/10

Overall: 8.4

Iowa (2001)

Wow...holy shit. Iowa...what a brutal album. From what I understand, Iowa was made during the band's most darkest times. The amount of emotion behind this album and it behind the band's most heavy album makes it my favorite album from Slipknot. I remember seeing this album in several Top 100 Metal albums, so I was looking forward too see how this turned out.

1) (515): This is one of the most freakiest songs I ever heard. You hear this machine running, and then a bunch of screams saying "DEATH!!!" or something. Isn't 515 an area code for Iowa? Hmm. This is only the intro of the album, and its already good. ?/10

2) People=Shit:
I loved this song the moment I heard it.
"PEOPLE ARE BULLSHIT". Whenever I think of this song, I think of stupid, whiney, uptight little basterds that think the world revolve around them, and only this song can express that strongly. 10/10

3) Disasterpiece:
"AHHHH I WANNA SLIT YOUR THROAGHT AND **** THE WOUND" EPIC OPENING. Another amazing song from Slipknot. I don't usually play this song much, but I do like it. 9.2/10


4) My Plague:
"I WILL REACH IN AND TAKE A BITE OUT OF THE SHIT YOU GOT ON ME!" Damn...what a great song. 9.5/10


5) Everything Ends:
"YOU ARE WRONG, ****ED, AND OVER
ATTED". Whenever I listen too this song, I think of overatted crap that gets put on the radio. This is yet again an amazing song. 9.8/10

6) The Heretic Anthem:
This is the most played song off of the album. "IF YOU ARE 555, I'M 666" is one of my favorite lyrics ever, coming from this song. Incredible song. 10/10


7) Gently:
One of the m
ore soft Slipknot songs(I was expecting that judging from the name the song). Its an alright song. 8/10

8) Left Behind:
I don't listen too this song much, but now that i payed close attention to it, I like it. 9.2/10


9) The Shape:
A song that I loved right when I heard it the first time. This is the 2nd most played song from the album. 9.8/10


10) I Am Hated:
This song kind of reminds me of People=Shit and Spit It Out. If you are feeling down, like the world is out too get you, listen too this song. 10/10


11) Skin Ticket: Another disturbing song off the album, and ranks up there with (515). The singer kind of sounds drunk and constipated when singing this for 6 minutes straight. "Come...see...my cage...built in my cave". 9.3/10

12) New Abortion:
For some reason, this song randomly makes me space out and forget about everything near me. I don't know why. Well, its an alright song. 8.5/10


13) Metab
olic: ...I love the sounds and the lyrics in the song. Another great song from Slipknot. 9.5/10

14) Iowa: This is one of the hardest songs too review, in my opinion. I got alot too say too. Ok so...this song is 15 Minutes long. No, this isn't one of those songs that has like 2 different parts, silence, or bonus tracks. This is, a solid 15 minute song. I'm not kidding. Throughout the whole song, you hear the sound of people screaming. The bass used in the song is astounding(Paul Grey we miss you... ). There isn't much lyrics too the song. I heard that it was made when the singer was "naked, vomiting on himself, and cutting himself with glass". WOW. The meaning of this song is kind of mixed, like some people may imagine of someone turning Homicidal, someone dieing, etc. For me, I don't think of anything, I just get absorbed into this song, I can't press the pause button, just have too listen too it all the way. This song was made during the album off the same name, it was also made during the band's darkest times. For me, this song makes me think of Frustration, Agony, Destruction, Pure evil, Love, Hate, and Death. Words cannot describe this song. You have too listen too this song too find out for yourself. ?/10

Overall: 9

Vol. 3: The Subliminal Versus(2004)

The first thing thats dramaticly different with this album is the band's style. The first 2 was overall heavy with brutal screaming. If you told someone to listen too Iowa or their debut first, said it was Slipknot, then made them listen too this, they probably might not know its them.

1) Prelude 3.0: I guess you can say this is the longest Slipknot intro song, it went from being 36 seconds, too a minutes, too this, which is 4 minutes. Its an overall soft song. Not bad, too. 8.5/10

2) The Blister Exists: There seems to be a change in Slipknot's music style in this song. However, I like it. 9.2/10

3) Three Nil:
This song sounds more like something you would hear on Iowa, with its screams and stuff. A good song too. 9/1
0

4) Duality: "I push my fingers into my...EYES...". Another great song off the album. 8.8/10

5) Opium Of The People:
I played this song several times, and is one of my favorite songs off the ablum. 9.5/10


6) Circle:
This is something completly new...i
t's acoustic, and soft. 8/10 7) Welcome: This sounds more like Slipknot's old style. I like it. 9/10

8) Vermillion:
I don't like this song that much, but its an alright song over
all. 8.9/10

9) Pulse Of The Maggots:
WE ARE THE PULSE OF THE MAGGOTS!!! While I'm not a maggot myself, I love this song. Who could hate it? 10/10


10) Before I Forget:
Yet again another great song off the album. By now, I'm getting used too the new style. 9.3/10


11) Vermillion Pt.2: So it turns out Vermillion is a 2 part song. It's acoustic, too. Although this song dosn't sound anything like Slipknot, it really hit me because I can relate too it. 8/10

12) The Nameless:
The song starts off heavy, then soft, then heavy again. Another song I really like off the album 9/10


13) The Virus Of Life
: Eeeeh...this song is OK. It could be better though. 6.5/10


14) Danger-Keep Away:
Now this song is just plain disturbing. You hear these scream at the begining and then whispers of someone saying "We do feel alone."
The overall song gives a eerie atmosphere when you listen too it. 8/10

Overall: 8.6

All Hope Is Gone(2008)

The band's newest album, being released 2 years ago. Once again, this album has a different style of music. If you are expecting a album that's like their debut or Iowa, don't get your hopes up. However, if you like a diverse variety of music tastes in rock, then you may like it. The band's future is unknown, due too the recent death of bassist Paul Grey, so it is unclear if there will ever be a 5th album. Let's hope this isn't their last.

1) .execute.: So this is the intro for the album, and is my 2nd favorite Slipknot intro, the 1st being (515) ?/10

2) Gematria [The Killing Name]: "WE WILL BURN YOUR CITIES DOWN". What an amazing song too start off the album. 9.5/10

3) Sulfur: Another good song. "ITS LIKE BREATHING IN SULFUR.". What's sulfur anyways? 8/10

4) Psychosocial: Probably my favorite song off the album, and one of Slipknot's most well known songs. 10/10

5) Dead Memories: This songs alright, not my favorite, but its good. 8/10

6) Vendetta: "ARE YOU READY FOR THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE." Yes, i am. Yet again another good song. 8.5/10

7) Butcher's Hook: This sounds almost nothing like Slipknot...I don't get it. What is this song suppose to be about? 7/10

8) Gehanna: So their is this "eerie" ghost sound int he background. This song is kind of takes time to get used too. 7/10

9) This Cold Black: This song is alright, it could be better though. 7.5/10

10) Wherein Lies Continue: Starts off with a nice intro, and is a good song throughout 8/10

11) Snuff: It's one of Slipknot's more softer songs, starts off with a acoustic guitar. I don't know why, but this song kind of touched me, because it reminded me of Paul Grey. We miss you. 9.5/10

12) All Hope Is Gone: The final song on the album is the same as the album name. I listened too this song somewhat. A very nice song too end off the album. 9/10

Overall: 8.3

0 comments:

Post a Comment