Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Animal Crossing

Ahh...Animal Crossing. Today as of December 30th, I want too take you back too a game I played so much as a little kid, Animal Crossing too end off the month. Today, Animal Crossing is a franchise. It's a franchise that changed my life. There's a total of 3 games. Were going to discuss them all, but the one, that I remember the most, is the first, the gamecube one. This is going to be a long ass post, so be prepared.

Animal Crossing
Ok, to be honest, I wasn't really expecting much when I first got this rented. But what I found out was...It blew my mind. It's so fun, so engaging. I was hooked. Hooked for like, over half a year. So, Animal Crossing is a overheard virtual Sim-like game. It runs in real time, meaning, if its 10 PM and dark outside, it is 10 PM and dark in the game.

You name your character and your town that you moved into.
There's a choice of 4 houses, all of them are the same size, and are about the size of a tiny little one roomed shack. You are then greeted by the town's shop owner, Tom Nook, who sells you the house. However, you have no money, so you have to work at his shop.

When you are given the chores, it is very, very, boring. For Ve
teran players like me, even more boring. The chores does give you a chance too meet all the town people(who are all animals). Once you are done with the chores, you can finally live your life free in the world of animal crossing...but your still in debt. There's several ways to make money(In the game, there called bells). You can fish, catch bugs, sell your unwanted crap, etc. So yes, the objective of the game, and story, is that you have to pay off your house. It's kind of a burden on you, but with pain and effort, you can finally finish it. Too congradulate you with the completion of your debt, your awarded with a nice little golden statue in front of the train station. How nice.

HOWEVER! THE GAME NEVER ENDS. You thought just paying off your home was it? Heh...there's alot more. Of course, you can interact with your neighbors in the town. They'll ask for errands or just talk. You can either be nice to them back, or it gives you a chance to be an asshole. You can whack them with a net, and they'll get pissed. My most favorite way to make them mad is too bury a pitfall, then shove them into there and run. Haha...so much fun. Wow! I havn't even talked about your house. No, not paying it off...DECORATING IT! You can either make it look like a real life house, or you can spice things up, by adding UFO's and stuff. My main room was mario themed with 12 playable NES games(Yes, Animal Crossing has NES Emulation), My basement is a bathroom and storage, and my upstairs is beach themed.

One thing that brings back the most nostalgic memories in this game is the diary. When I was hooked on the game, I would write in the diary every end of the month about stuff in real life. Here were my favorites. Spelling mistakes were made on purpose, directly copied of how I origonally wrote it in the game.

July 2006 Entry: "First my sister rented this game at HollyWood Video. Then I worked my butt off to buy this game! So do not mess with my file or you will be cursed. Since I got this game early in July, I did not have 5 raffle tickets. I could not get NEES game in the lottery. IT SUCKED. I rented this game on July 27, 2006. I bought this game on July 31, 2006."

November 2006 Entry: "GRRRRRRR! I hate Peaches! This is what she did. During the fishing tourney, I got a 23 incher and she got a 24 incher! I lost...I ALMOST WON! So, I went up to her and whacked her with a net. Then I buried a pitfall and she fell in it. So thats the end of that. Thanksgiving was..........i dunno. I felt kinda guilty for eating meat on Thanksgiving because im a vegetarian. This is my worst entry EVER! .............I have to do better. NO!!! It's my bedtime! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I gotta go. But before i go, I gotta tell u something. IT WAS SNOWING!!! YAY! BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

WHAT THE HELL? I WAS A VEGETARIAN? When I stopped getting hooked on the game, my diary entry's started to get more lame. Here was my lamest(That wasn't blank): August 2006 Entry: "lol. i threw up."

Yeah. So as you can see, I was hooked. The fun didn't stop there, I got the sequal for the Nintendo DS, Which I got on Christmas. This leads us too our next game, Animal Crossing: Wild World.

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Who would of thought a big game like Animal Crossing would fit on a tiny little card? Well, they did it. Wild World has some of the same stuff in the Gamecube version, but there are some dramatic changes.

One is that the overheard automaticly scrolls with the character, instead of the town being divided into little boxes. Another is that you have the option too not have a hat. I always found that sketchy in Gamecube, you could never take off your hat, which made you looked like a conehead.
You can personalize your character more. There's more accessories, you can get hairstyles, new clothes, etc.

There's more furtniture, more neighbors, and more characters. Another neat thing is that it is compatible with Nintendo Wifi, meaning, you can connect too other people
who play the game at the same time. Visit their town, chat, play games...good stuff. *COUGH* HOWEVER! THIS GIVES PERMISSION TO OTHERS TO BE AN ASSHOLE. Theres these guys who hack. Now, in Wild World, hacking can either be a good or bad thing.

The good is, you can hack any item, and share them with people, and is friendly. The bad is, you have these things called "seeds", in which you plant them in fron
t of buildings. It's hard to describe. Ok, SEEDS, are buildings, you plant buildings in front of other buildings, and you can't get out of your house and you gotta deleate your game. Thats why you gotta be carefull of strangers, kids. I never been a victim of seeds, but I known ALOT of people who were.

So Overall, Wild World was an amazing sequal too the origonal, but It lacked the charm of the origonal.
As for the next Animal Crossing, it's on Wii. There has been many many hints of the next game. However, there was lack of screenshots until a few months until it was released. There was alot of hype about it, but does it hold up today as being faithfull?

Animal Crossing: City Folk

I remember getting this game the day it came out. I revisited my gamecube town to post messages about it on my town bulliten...TOO FIND DUMBASS WEEDS EVER
YWHERE. Theres 2 ways too get weeds in every Animal Crossing game. It's too either not play for long enough, or time travel(changing the date on your console calender).

So now onto City Folk. You know what City Folk is? Wild World, on Wii, with a city, new characters, controls, Imrpoved Graphics(sort of), Wii Speak, Imrpoved Wifi, and thats it. Hell, it even uses the same exact music ripped right from Wild World. If I was expecting any music ripped onto a new Animal Crossing game, I would expect some of t
he catchy as hell music from the origonal.

One common complaint I see about the game is the lack of grass. There is so so so so so MANY SAND. ITS DEPRESSING. I mean, looking back at Gamecube, look how colorful it was. Now look at the desert in THIS GAME.

So...It's nothing really special for new people. However if it's for first timers, they will probably get hooked on it, but probably not as much as the gamecube version. I'm sorry, but I still have too say that the origonal was the best.

Speaking of Animal Crossing...because these games were so good, I remember signing up for a site called Animal Crossing Community way back in 2006. This site is all about Animal Crossing, you can talk on the forums, make friends, talk about un-related Animal Crossing, Etc. But...that's kind of interesting don't you think? A game so powerful, It brings together people who also like the game too form a community. That's very beutifull in my opinion.

When I signed up for the site I was under the name Tooter(Don't ask, I chose the first word on the top of my head after all the "cool" names I chose was token), I was new too the community. However, I found myself making tons of online friends. I quit the site, sadly. HOWEVER. That dosn't mean that I don't get in touch with some of them. Ok, not some of them VERY VERY FEW. Some of them lost touch in me, or just don't talk to me anymore, I don't know.

See? That's the power of Animal Crossing. It brings together a friendly community that discusses about interests they all can relate too. They talk about their memories of the game, and how they loved it so much. And that's what Animal Crossing is to me. Memories, that will last for a lifetime.

THE END

0 comments:

Post a Comment