Monday, September 27, 2010

MMO's And You

Another Maplestory related Post. I should be ashamed

You start up your computer. You go online. Check your email, go on Facebook, type up essays, etc. That's how it goes for some people. But that wasn't enough. People always find creative and unique ways to waste their time while their on the internet, and one of them is Online MMORPGS.

When people sign up for a MMMORPG, some of them expect just a "simple game too play when your bored". No, it's more than just a simple game. It is a different world. No, the quest isn't too "Destory the Black Mage" or whatever the hell it is, the quest is about YOU. You will learn more about yourself. You will push yourself too do things you don't want too do.
Now there is many MMO's out there, like World Of Warcraft, Aion, and much more. But we are going to use Maplestory as a prime example. Yes, that's right, were picking on maple yet again.

Now without critisizing the game like usual, its a typical MMORPG. You go around fighting bad guys, too level up, to buy new armor, to fight more enemies, to level up, and yet again too buy more armor. It is repetitive, but fun at first. You make more online friends and get too know them more. You play more of the game. You get too know your online friends more. You go outside less, and become isolated from the real world. Your friends come over and ask if you want too hang out. You say "Sorry i can't". But what was really going on was you keep playing the game.


Time slowly goes by in the game. You become higher level. Things get more and more repetitive, and then you think "This is getting boring. Why am I playing this"? You wish you could quit, but you can't! You have so many friends on that you like and you spent REAL MONEY on the game for Real-life-Money-Items...that expire. If you quit, they will be sad, and you will just wind up crawling back too play it more. You want too beat the game so the curse of the MMO lifts up and you can be free and live your life. You then take the game more seriously, learning the MMO's language, economy, etc. You become embarressed when people find out you play it and spend real money.


This is a little trend that people like too call "Internet addiction". But i prefer the term "The MMO Drug". It's not easy too quit. People will just say "it's easy to quit your just addicted". But no, they don't know what is going on in your head. You slack off more on your studies, you become more lazy, you become a couch potato...you are now a mess, because you played the MMO long enough that you met hell itself.


Then, you hate the game even more. Are your online friends actually your friends, or do they use you for their own selfish needs? You become suspicous. You notice all the precious time and money you spent on the game, and you can't take it anymore. You are forced to quit. All that time and money you used is now down the shitter. The evil aura surrounding your computer is lifted, and you can now live your life without looking like a jackass.

You think I'm over exaggerating? I'm not, this really related to me, and related too other people. I went on Maplestory to interview the fellow citizens I knew about their experience of the game that still have the patience too sit through this game. I'm going to put up 2.

Interview #1: Twinki7







Me: How did you find out about Maplestory?


Twinki7: I found out ms from my friends at school.


Me: Ah, do they still play?


Twinki7
: Nope. Moved too Private Server.

Me: Ouch...how did you come up with your username?
'
Twinki7: Hmm...before the night there was stars so i called myself Twinki.


Me: Kind of like twinkle twinkle little star?

Twinki7: Yes!


Me: Who was your biggest influence in Ms?


Twinki7: No one. >.<

Me: It's A-Ok. What motivated you too keep playing?


Twinki7: Friends. I'm a chatter box, so i love to talk too new people.


Me: Oh same here


Twinki7: Yep *Hi5*

Me: *hi5!* Anyways...have you had any thoughts of quitting?


Twinki7: Yes. There wasn't anything to do but when I found new friends it kept me playing


Me: Alright. Thanks for sitting through the interview.



Interview #2: Firebomb678(Twinki7's Brother)






Me: How did you find out about Maplestory

Firebomb678: Friends.

Me: Do they still play?

Firebomb678: No they quit.


Me: I see...how did you come up with your username?


Firebomb678: Umm...i don't know lol umm...I saw Firebomb I DON'T KNOW umm...I love fire so I called it Firebomb 0_0 My sister's one is bullshit
.

Me: Hmm...that's nice of you. Who was your biggest influence in ms?


Firebomb678: Umm the graphics and it look cool.


Me: Next...what motivated you too keep playing?


Firebomb678: I level, get new skills, hot chicks, and you.

Me: How nice of you.


Firebomb678: I know, right?


Me: What else...have you had thoughts of quitting?


Firebomb678: NO YOU THINK?


Me: That's a no right?

Firebomb678: Yeah.


Me: Alright. Thanks for sitting through this interview.



Now, I think that was enough. As always, I don't care if you agree with my opinions or not. I'm just showing you how I see the world of MMO's...from my point of view. In fact, I'm not proud to say this, but once in a while I still play Maple, and the MMO Drug is still inside of me. Now let me ask you, viewer.... What should I do?

0 comments:

Post a Comment