Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Facebook: A Quest For "Friends"


I think everyone here knows what Facebook is. It is a social networking website. People post updates on their wall in their profile, create groups, send messages, add "friends", and talk too "friends". It has 500M+ users on, and is the leading social network website.

So basiclly if you make a Facebook account, you will be told to add stuff too your profile and stuff. "Friends" you add can like it and talk about it. There is a neat little chat bar at the bottom of the site, where you can talk to people on your "friend" list. The site has somehow made it's own language, like if you said to someone in real life "I friended someone", they will automaticlly know it's Facebook, or something related too it. I actually used to have a Facebook account, but I quit for several reasons.

Facebook is a huge thing, and I felt like I was missing out on the fun because I never made a account. I joined Facebook because it was the only way I can stay in touch with my friends. MY REAL FRIENDS. I had like 40 friends total or something around that. Now the first thing some people will notice right off the bat is your display picture. Keep it clean. Second is...the amount of friends. If you got little "friends", you might be insulted. You may have noticed the quotes I put around friends.

What I noticed on Facebook is that some people don't actually add their real friends. They just add whoever they want, even if they don't know them. It is sort of a way too stalk someone. I've known people who would add whatever "hot chick" they would see, People who are mean too them(and then they insulted them on their wall), and just overall random people. They ended up having 200+ "friends", thinking they are all cool and popular and stuff. It's absolutly pointless. It's just a quest for friends, too just show off.


There is also people who lie. They will put up a profile picture of someone they don't know, then say they are all young, hip, cool, with all these friends, and people will think he's popular. But it could just be some perverted guy stalking people. This is a HUGE website...all these groups, organizations, and stuff. So i got sick of how boring and repetitive it was, so I quit Facebook, but no, you can't just QUIT AND DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT, you gotta deactivate your account first and then wait for like 2 weeks!! During that time, people can post shit on your wall without you noticing and it just...like...damn. Wow.

I could go on for hours with this, but a website as strong and powerful as Facebook isn't worth stressing about. It's been a topic of debate and controversy. But I just wanted too tell you what I think of it...from an actual user who quit. Today I use Windows Live too talk too my friends too this date, instead of using Facebook. Thanks, and have a great day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what the hell did I find

Anonymous said...

Its been almost a decade since this was posted and I accidentally found it while researching a topic

Post a Comment